My second class with students of the second year at English Access was
cool. As always, I tried to do by best by teaching in a way Ss feel comfortable
because that is important for the learning process and we know that when we try
to be friendly, students are more attentive to the class. What I did this time
was to start with a good atmosphere remembering what we did during weekend,
making grammar review and some grammar practice, and practicing orally talking
about controversial issues in our society.
I tried to start as early as possible, but it could not be like that
because there was a meeting and some parents were still there in the classroom talking
about their children with the teacher in charge of the group; anyways, I started
like 5 minutes later. On the other hand, it was nice to be in front of my
students the second time, so I really admire their willingness to learn and
participate; I asked them how their weekend was and I also ask them to talk
with their classmates about it, and they were excited.
To make grammar review, I asked students to remember me about it; it was
awesome because they gave ideas about it, and I could notice they had learned
about last week topics. I wrote on the board all the abstract nouns they
remembered and then I wrote an example for them to state if it was correct or
not; I did the same with the second grammar, which was about verbs followed by an
object and infinitive.
I also made students read some paragraphs and then talk about it. To do
so, I made them get in groups of four and number each of them, so numbers one
had to read paragraph one, numbers two paragraph two, and so on. Consequently,
it was nice and I liked that part of the class because it became interesting
when they were doing exactly what I asked them to do. It was going really well
when the bell rang. This was the first time that time was not enough for me, so
I had planned the activities and I thought I was managing the time, but since
the class started like five minutes later it consume my teaching time as I had
planned.
Concluding, I can infer that not always the class goes as you plan it,
and based on my previous experiences, I have to be careful with that. Besides,
for my future class, I will take care of the time I use for each of the
activity; I will also try to be clear when giving directions and CCQ. Moreover,
will create more visual aids, and I will use an appropriate sitting
arrangement.
I know that in English Access the time is more like strict because you have to finish when the bell rings, and in the university levels, you can use more time if you want and if the teacher allows you, so it is very difficult to organize a sitting arrangement and make all the activities you planned, but if you are a little more flexible with the time, you can do it.
ResponderBorrarAs you said, when we are teaching, things do not always work the way we planned because there are sometimes unexpected situations or problems; however, in those cases we can reduce the time of the activities or develop the more important activities to cover our lesson plan.
Thanks Nathallie for you comments, I will take into consideration your suggestions of reducing the time of the activities or developing the most important of the lesson in case time is not enought.
ResponderBorrar