jueves, 5 de mayo de 2016

First Class at English Access

     Having de opportunity to teach in the major before helped me a lot at English Access because it was really nice being there with teenagers who are really smart. I taught the second part of the class because Teacher Salvador Buen Dia suggested me to go with the practice, so I started at 4: 10pm. I was excited because since I went to observe the class, I could notice that those 25 students are really good at English, and most important thing was that they love participated. My class was divided into three parts such as The Grammar Practice, Dictogloss, and Agree or Disagree activity.

     The grammar practice was nice because Ss recognized the non-count nouns that show abstract ideas perfectly however some of them asked me the meaning when they had doubts. Before starting the class, I tried to activate their schema by asking them what they had been doing during the first class, so they answered enthusiastically.  Then, I started by giving them the practice; they had to circule or underline all the abstract words they found in the piece of paper, and after that they had to develop exercise A and B from their books on page 101. This activity went really well because they did ir rapidly.

     The dictogloss was the next activity. First, I had to read the text so that students could get an idea about it; then, I had to read it again and students had to write keywords in order to build up the paragraph I was reading; because of time, I did not read the last time, so I asked my Ss to discuss about what they had listened and the words or ideas they got while I was reading. I really liked it because the reading was about racism, so it gave them the chance to share about it with not so much problems. Teacher Salvador said it was really nice when I was monitoring them because that was a good way to be in contact with them because while that, they asked me about the meaning of some words; I also took the advantage of asking names.

     Agree or disagree activities are really nice to make Ss discuss. This time they were asked to get in pair and were given 2 cards that showed agreement or disagreement. I had o read some some statements, and person who had the agreement card had to start discussing about it giving the reason why he or she was in agreement, so the same for the one who de disagreement card. This activity did not go as it was planned because Ss did not understand what to do, so I might have been clearer while explaining, but it was because of time. What I did at the end was to explain it in another way for them to et the idea, and finally it worked well.

     For my next class, I pretend to take into consideration what teacher suggested me to do while giving directions. I will be more creative and will keep on being with good attitude as teacher said; I will also take the advantage of the energy my students have.

2 comentarios:

  1. It was nice that you started by asking them questions, so you did a diagnostic activity. Also the students were eager to participate in your class. I had never thought to work with dictogloss; that was a nice decisition. I notice you were working with discussion activities; it is good for the students to get the rhythm of the class. Perfect, you did a good job; though, you need to work in time management as you said.

    ResponderBorrar
  2. It was a very good class Karen. I like the way you catch students' attention and it helps you for the rest of the class. Also, I like that you vary a lot the activities. Keep going Karen, congrats!

    ResponderBorrar