My third class was even better than the previous ones. I already knew my students and the way they react while I was teaching. At first, I was a little bit worried because of the topic I had to teach. It was causative case. By reviewing, and studying the topic, I got ready, and I started to prepare the material for the activities. Because I had to do like a review about active and passive causative, the teacher suggested me to do it through a reading and then through a speaking activity. They were students from Intermediate English II, so that was not a difficult task for them. As in every class, I had to start with a warm up that were useful for the next activities, so I decided to organize my class with a warm up activity called The Participle Train, a reading about Two Teaching Styles, and a speaking activity called In Class Activity.
With the warm up activity called The Participle train, I firstly count my students. They were thirty, but some of them were missing. Then, I divided the class into two groups and asked them to form two lines facing the board; after that, I gave them the directions. They were going to be given a marker per each line, so that they could quickly write on the board the past participle of the verb I said. Next, the student who already wrote the verb had to pass the marker to the next one and go behind the line. The line who had all the past participle forms of the verbs well written was going to be the winner. Obviously as in every class, there were some late comers, so what I did was to locate them in the two lines; then, I ask the students to explain latecomers what they had to do. They did it, and it was awesome! Ater that, I started the activity and they really liked it because the fact of trying to win motivated them. Finally, I ask them to go back to their places, so that I checked and count the written verbs on the board and said who were the winners. I really enjoy it.
The pre stage of the reading activity was astonishing. I thought the topic of the reading was not going to generate a lot of ideas to my students; it was Two Teaching Styles. I wrote the topic on the board, and also I wrote: Student-centered teaching and Teacher-centered teaching; to my surprise, that generated a lot of ideas to them when I asked them to guess about it. Then, I asked them to discuss with the person next to them, and finally I asked them to share the ideas they got. For the during stage, I gave each of them a piece of reading ( It contained the active and passive causatives.) They were asked to read it and discuss about it. I think it worked very nice. For the post stage, they had to pay attention to the highlighted sentences ,and state if those were active or passive causatives.
Lastly, in the speaking activity, My God, It was a mess for me! I don't know why, but I confused the directions and asked them to stand up; first, I had to give them the pieces of conversation that they had to complete, adding causatives. Anyways, I did it like that, so I asked them to stand up, and then, I formed the groups; I spent time giving each group the pieces of conversation; but at the end, it produced because my students were speaking even if they didn't understand at first because of my confusion.
Concluding, I can infer that my third teaching was nice because I could manage the last situation although I got confused with the activity. I think Everybody face that. Having experienced these three classes, helped me to improve many of the things I have to change while teaching. Based on what I observed, I think students like and understood the topics a little bit more even if sometimes they face some difficulties with the topics. On the other hand, I think that trying to do our best in every class motivates the students, so that they learn. In the future, I will try to think carefully which activities are appropriate for my students to get the knowledge they need, and also I will prepare myself even better to be ready at the moment to teach, and leave behind all the nervousness I felt facing this gorgeous adventure.

I like the fact that you improved your teaching. Also, I like the warm-up because it included motion, and doing that, you can catch students' attention.
ResponderBorrarDon't be worried about the fact that you got confused, we all make mistakes; nonetheless, you should try to avoid that because remember that our mistakes stay in our students' mind.
Well done Karen, I enjoyed reading about your classes.
I like the way you express your class procedure Karen and also that you accepted that you made a mistake while teaching. You could have said that the activity was nice, for it produced but you are brave enough to accept your mistakes and that's what we as teachers must manage. We are not perfect and we make mistakes but we must be prepared to accept and deal with them.
ResponderBorrarthanks guys! All I want is to improve in order to nanage my classes.
ResponderBorrar